Lawyer Accuses China of ‘Enforced Disappearance’ of Deceased Nobel Laureate’s Widow
Liu Xia, the late widow of Chinese dissident and Nobel Peace Prize winner Liu Xiaobo, may be subjected to forced disappearance, according to the prosecutor for the couple.
Human Rights Ombudsman in Washington DC, Jared Genser, reported in Beijing today a formal complaint to the United Nations, reports The Guardian, calling Beijing’s treatment of its client a “new worrying inconvenience.”
The death of Liu Xia is currently unknown, weeks after the death of Liu Xiaobo, the first Nobel Prize winner of death in detention since the German pacifist Carl von Ossietzky died in 1938 of a prisoner of concentration camps.
Her last public appearance was published on July 15 by China’s state authorities, which has been shown to attend a funeral and sea burial to her husband, whose ashes were scattered in the waters off the northeast coast of China.
According to The Guardian, friends Liu Xia said he had to travel to the southwest of the country, but is probably back to Beijing, where he was actually controlled at home since he was awarded Liu Xiaobo Nobel in 2010.
Read more: Senator Marco Rubio:
An open letter to Liu Xia, the widow of Liu Xiaobo
Liu Xiaobo died of terminal liver cancer less than a month after he was transferred from prison to a hospital for treatment.
An 11-year sentence had been served for “inciting subversion against state power,” a charge related to a written request in 2008 calling on the Communist Party to allow democracy and human rights in China. Despite constant monitoring of the situation and house arrest, Liu Xia has never been charged with crimes.
Genser called for “urgent intervention” by the U.N. On forced or involuntary disappearances. “It is clear to me that what happened to Liu Xia falls directly and unequivocally” as defined by the U.N. Forced disappearance, he told the Guardian. It is expected that the move will force China to allow Liu Xia to remake public surface and finally leave China, the Guardian reports.